Thursday, October 30, 2008

The curiously morbid facination with "lists"

Google the phrase "Things to do before you die"

Who knew so many people had "death lists" or "bucket lists"

What is the morbid preoccupation?

My list is not that. It is meant to be a celebration of achievements. I do the things on the list because I believe life is an adventure waiting to happen. I do it for personal reasons and some I do for very public reasons. I want to have great stories to tell to my daughter. I want to look back at my life and say I never regretted anything because I took the chance to do something. Almost everything on the list gives me an opportunity to not only experience what the world has to offer, but what I have to offer back.

I started my list a long time ago after reading something as a teenager that inspired me--that was a reprint of John Goddard's "to do" list. His list is online: http://www.johngoddard.info/life_list.htm

This isn't about dying. This about living!

No comments:

Post a Comment