Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Curse of Item #12

If I was in the mood I would almost laugh about this...

So a week or two ago I set myself up to knock item #12 off my list, which is to go to the top of the Washington Monument. This is the third time this year I have tried to do this.

First of all tickets are notoriously hard to get on the day of... and you have to sort of plan around tourist season because in the summer time you can forget about it. So, I ordered a ticket a few weeks back on the National Park Service website thinking, this should be perfect...

I got up really early this morning, gave myself about an extra 30 min leeway to find a parking space downtown and go get my ticket from will call. I even had time to stop for coffee at 7-11. I'd been looking forward to this all week. So what could go wrong?

Wouldn't you know...I picked the day of the Marine Corp Marathon. Now if you're wondering what this has to do with my adventure, the MCM route runs right through downtown and past...the Washington Monument. It also means that every street for 3-4 blocks in each direction surrounding the Monument is blocked by one of DC's finest, who are also redirecting traffic down one way streets, which also not only jacks up traffic, but makes it all but impossible to find a parking space.

After driving around in circles for nearly 45 mins, I missed my will call time, got extremely frustrated and drove home where I now sit on my computer telling you this story about my disastrous morning. And as I said if I were in the mood I would almost laugh because it would seem that I am just not meant to knock what should be one of the easiest goals off my list.

Ah well, if at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you (I shouldn't say that, skydiving is on my list...lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment