Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Real Act of Kindness--Encouragement for Our Troops!

About a week or so ago I added the "acts of kindness" goal to my list. I've been thinking about it for a few days and I realized that the point of the goal is not just to do it, but to make a difference--even if it's just a small one.

That being said, act number one will be to send something-- a letter, card, care package to the Any Soldier program.


Here is the site: http://www.anysoldier.com/

Now, I don't have any family or friend currently in the military at the moment, but I decided to do this for a few reasons that reach way beyond completing the list:

1. It's a great program!

2. I know times are hard for a lot of people, including me...but I can forego a cup of morning coffee to send a letter. If you read the request lists, most of what these guys are asking for are very basic items--toothpaste, deordorant, Kool-Aid (yes, Kool-Aid!).

3. No matter what your personal stance is on the situation is, these folks have chosen to go over and serve. They're gone for long stretches at a time. A lot of them are young! Some of them don't have much, if any, family. And, the holidays are a rough time anyway--more so when you can't be home.

That being said, check out the site. I encourage anyone who reads this to consider sending a letter or a care package. The information for how and what to send is all updated...also there are some helpful sponser links (for instance, Kroger grocery stores will take donations for care packages and Dunkin Donuts will take requests to send coffee).

Oh, and if you happen to just be passing by my blog, feel free to pass on the program link.

No comments:

Post a Comment